Today we continue our series of regular posts on the Trellis blog for science community managers interested in diversity, equity and inclusion. This installment was authored by Josh Knackert, UW-Madison Neuroscience Training Program. Additional series coordinators are Jennifer Davison, Urban@UW, University of Washington, Marsha Lucas, Society for Developmental Biology and Rosanna Volchok, The New York Academy of Sciences. You can find all of the posts in the series here.
Through our roles as community managers, and especially during our preparation for this series, we came across lots of great resources, examples, and tools. We will intermittently highlight these in a recurring segment we’re calling the Resource Rabbit Hole. While our posts are never meant to be a deep dive, we certainly like to encourage readers and collaborators to learn as much as they can about these topics. We hope these posts will help you delve further into areas that you find especially interesting. Also, feel free to share your favorite resources with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Increasing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as a community manager
- 9 Guidelines for Disability Inclusion, Commit to Inclusion
- National Research Mentoring Network (MRMN)
- Increasing Diversity in the STEM Workforce by Reducing the Impact of Bias, Recommendations from White House Panel
- Outcomes over optics: Building inclusive organizations, Community-relevant industry perspective from Deloitte
Evidence for the need for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion efforts
- Disparities in STEM Employment by Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin, US Census Bureau
- Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering (WMPD) [2017 report, released every other year], National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics
- Diversity: A Nature & Scientific American Special Issue
- Blacks in STEM jobs are especially concerned about diversity and discrimination in the workplace, Pew Research Center
- 11 Tips on Creating Online Community Guidelines, Vervely
- Anti-harassment Guidelines of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration, International research collaboration
- GitHub Community Guidelines, Massive project hosting platform and related community